THE DANGER OF FAMILIARITY

I often walk my dog, Jules over on the high school field where I let her off the leash so she can run and burn off energy. I can usually trust her to stay in close proximity to me so I can get her when it's time to leave. I have been walking Jules at the high school for the last couple of years and it's become a very familiar place to her. She instinctively runs to the same groundhog hole hoping to find one or along the treeline hunting for animals. Today, in her excitement she kept getting farther and farther away from me. Confidence to run off on her own is not typical behavior for her because she was a rescue dog who has always been a little skittish. It wasn't long before I completely lost sight of her and didn't know where she had gone. I anxiously called for her and whistled repeatedly waiting for her to respond. Minutes went by and no sight of Jules. I wandered the field longer. No Jules. I finally figured she may have gone home without me because she has become so familiar with our neighborhood and as a hunting dog, she can smell her way home! As I approached my house, there she was waiting on the porch for me without a care in the world not realizing how upset I was. She could've gotten hit by a car or her leash caught or tangled up in the trees. Although I know she didn't understand, I told her, "You have lost your privilege to go over to the school. I'm not taking you any more!" Now, I know this sounds funny but I heard God speak to me through this situation: "MY PEOPLE ARE THE SAME WAY!"

Christians who have grown up in the church have become so familiar with God, hearing sermons week after week, going to Bible Studies, prayer meetings and retreats. But the familiarity and comfort with God has also caused them to lose their reverent fear of Him. Christians know what they ought to do but they have grown complacent in their knowledge alone and put off spending more time with Him. We get so busy throughout our days with work and family and other commitments but we justify our actions, thinking, "I went to church. I attended a Bible Study this week. I said a prayer today." There's no conviction to spend more time with the Lord. Familiarity with God doesn't equal true relationship. Consider married couples who have been together for years and have grown completely familiar and comfortable with each other but that doesn't necessarily mean they have an intimate relationship. They could actually be on the brink of divorce because of lack of intimacy with each other! We may feel very comfortable in our knowledge of God but yet completely lack a relationship and intimacy with God that comes from spending time daily in prayer and the Word. 

My dog has become very familiar with walking at the high school to the point that she ran off without me so I needed to discipline her. God also disciplines us for our disobedience. God may allow us to even be sick to get our attention. Maybe nothing is going right and you don't know why. You may feel God is being silent and distant. That's because our sins separate us from God (Isaiah 59:2). Repent today and turn back to your Heavenly Father. He is faithful and just to forgive us when we confess our sins (1 John 1:9). Get into the Word again and talk to Him daily. Get comfortable in a true relationship with Him for He cares for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I AM CALLING MORE OF MY PEOPLE HOME

I AM Your Help in the Battle